Healing Stones Sacred Art

My pieces are a meditation. As I work on them, they work on me.

View

Please click on images to enlarge.

Friday 17 September 2010

Milagritos

At the doorstep of Mexican churches you can buy
milagritos to pin on your favourite saint or virgin.
You can buy a heart; a leg; an arm; a pair of eyes...any part that you or a loved one need healing. You can also buy little kneeling men and women if you are praying for a man, or a woman . Milagritos cover any area of your life where a miracle is needed. Not surprisingly, hearts are in high demand.
I made this necklace with milagritos; a gold medal of Saint George fighting the dragon- a theme I always identified with- and a quartz crystal, a healing and protecting stone.
Note that nevertheless, the quartz is bleeding.
I made this necklace for me and those before me:


From left: my great grandmother, Clementina Mena;  my grandmother, Araceli Otero; My mother, Paloma Gorostiza; me,Paloma Zozaya.
(Not in this picture, my great great grandmother;great great great grandmother, but their spirits are there)
We form a chain where, as in the weave of a necklace, patterns and stories are repeated.I am the end of that line, the last link. But mum and I are still working hard at working it all out.

1 comment:

  1. Hola, Paloma!
    Te escribo por dos razones: la primera para preguntarte si eres tú la Paloma Zozaya con quien actué hace años en "Vaselina" con la Cía. de Julissa, y la segunda, soy dramaturgo y director de teatro y estoy empezando un proyecto sobre el Teatro de Ulises donde tu familia tuvo mucho que ver. Te agradecería te comunicaras conmigo. Mi correo es: jadramx@hotmail.com mi nombre, Jorge Del Río Acosta, puedes también buscarme en Facebook. Gracias y un afectuoso saludo!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.